SAZÓN SOFRITO BULGAR WHEAT
If you would like to take a break from eating rice, we encourage you to try Bulgur Wheat (Trigo)! Bulgur, compared to unenriched white rice, has more fiber and protein, a lower glycemic index, and higher levels of most vitamins and minerals. Bulgar wheat is also high in iron, magnesium, and a good source of plant-based protein! It is most commonly eaten in European, Middle Eastern, and Indian cuisine. Bulgur became known in the Dominican Republic and other Latin American countries in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries when immigrants from the Middle East region, especially Syria, Palestine, Lebanon and Egypt brought it over and shared it with us. Another popular dish made in Dominican households with Bulgur and that we have inherited from our Middle Eastern friends has been Kipes (Quipes)!
Our recipe bulgar wheat recipe below is prepared with our sazón sofrito. Trust us when we say that the flavors will get your spirits up and will have Mami telling you, "ta' bueno, dame la receta (taste good...give me the recipe.)"
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
What Ingredients Do I Need?
- 2 cups of bulgar wheat
- 2 ½ cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of sazón sofrito
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
What Supplies Do I Need?
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup
How Do I Make It?
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a thick-bottomed pot.
- Add the sazón sofrito and sea salt, sauté to mix for about 30 seconds.
- Add the bulgur wheat (trigo) and sauté to mix it with the seasonings for a minute.
- Add water or vegetable broth. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork, moving the bulgur wheat at the bottom to the top.
- Cover again and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Uncover and taste, bulgur wheat should be soft and almost chewy. If it is still uncooked, add half a cup of water or broth, cover again and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Serve and Buen Provecho!