ASOPAO VEGETARIANO (VEGETARIAN GRAIN STEW)
Asopao is a traditional rice stew dish in Puerto Rican, Dominican, and other Caribbean households. Our recipe is plant-based and made with bulgur wheat in lieu of rice and packed with yummy vegetables instead of meat or seafood and it's just as yummy!
Prep: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
What Do I Need?
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoon mashed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups of bulgur wheat
- 1 cup of lentils
- 3 quarts of boiling water
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- ½ cup of carrots, diced
- ½ cup of green olives
- 1 cup of peas
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
How Do I Make It?
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a 3/4 qt [3 lt] pot. Add onion and mashed garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Mix in lentils and bulgur wheat to cooked garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, lentils, carrot, peas, green olive, oregano and stir to mix.
- Pour in half of the boiling water. Add the tomato sauce. Stir to mix well and cover the pot.
- Simmer, stirring often to avoid the bulgur wheat from sticking to the bottom of the pot, add water from the pot as it becomes necessary to maintain the same level.
- Once the bulgur wheat has doubled in size, and the grains have opened, season with the remaining salt, or to taste, turmeric, pepper, lime juice, and parsley. Remove from the heat. It should have turned into a thick soup. If you find it to be too dry, stir in more water from the other pot.